Escorts for Width:
- Two escorts (one front and one rear) shall be required on 2-lane primary and secondary routes when any portion of the vehicle or load extends to the left of the highway centerline or the movement is 14' or greater in width.
- One Escort (rear) shall be required on interstate and divided highways and 4-lane roadways with a left turn center lane when the movement is 15' or greater in width.
- The Wyoming Highway Patrol may require additional escorts depending on load width.
Escorts for Length:
- Two escorts (one front and one rear) shall be required on 2-lane primary and secondary routes, escorts shall be required for movements 110' or more in overall length or for movements that will extend to the left of the centerline at any time during the movement.
- On interstate and divided highways, escorts for length will be required for movements 150’ or longer or at the discretion of the Wyoming Highway Patrol Overweight Loads Office.
Escort for rear overhang:
- One escort to the rear shall be required for rear overhang of 25' or more on all highways.
Escort for Height:
- Any movement 17' or higher will be required an escort vehicle to the front with a height-measuring device on all highways.
- Escorts for heights less than 17' will be at the discretion of the permit issuing authority.
Escorts for Overweight:
- Any overweight movement with special restrictions imposed by the Bridge Department shall require a rear escort on all highways.
- An additional escort to the front may be required on primary and secondary highways.
- Escort(s) may be required by the Overweight Loads Office depending on the load restrictions.
Super load issue permits apply to loads exceeding
- 18' wide
- 17' high
- 120' long
- Trunnion axles: 55,000 lbs.
Loads in excess of 18’ high or 18’ wide are time sensitive and must give a minimum of 24-hour notice. These loads will not be allowed to travel during hours of school buses on primary and secondary routes.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.