When escorts are needed and # of escorts required
- Loads over 15' up to 18' requires minimum one front escort.
- Loads wider than 18’ up to 20’ require 1 front escort and police escort
- Loads wider then 20’ require 2 escorts (Front and Back) and 2 police escorts
- When any part of the load or vehicle extends beyond the left of roadway centerline on 2-way/2-lane highways, one escort is required.
- Loads exceeding 110’ up to 160’ require 1 escort (Front)
- Loads exceeding 160’ up to 200’ require two escorts (Front and Back)
- Loads exceeding 200’ require 2 escorts (Front and Back) and a police escort
- Loads greater than 16’ require an escort (Front) with high pole
- Loads exceeding 350,000 lbs require 1 escort following the load and a police escort
Note that Wisconsin displays escort requirements in a grid display that can be viewed here.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.