Hours of Business
OSOW Permit Office
955 Park Street Room G-4
Columbia, SC 29201
PHONE: (803) 737-6769 or (877) 349-7190
When escorts are needed and number of escorts required
- A lead escort must accompany vehicles which exceed 12’ in width up to and including 14’ in width on 2-lane roads.
- Front and rear escorts must travel with vehicles which exceed 14’ in width up to and including 16’ wide.
- No specific requirements exist for overlength or overheight vehicles.
Super loads are those exceeding 130,000 lbs., 125′ long (including overhang), or 16′ wide. Super load permits are also required for loads limited by overhead structures (must clear by 3”) or those with front overhangs of 3’ and rear 15’ on trailers less than 48’ long and 10’ on trailers between 48’ and 53’ long (5’ rear overhang on loads only on 40’ straight trucks).
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
– Up to 12’ wide: All loads or mobile homes up to 12’ wide are allowed to travel 1/2 hour after sunrise to 1/2 hour before sunset Monday through Saturday.
– Over 12’ wide up to 15’ wide: All loads over 12’ wide up to 15’ wide or mobile homes over 12’ wide up to and including 14’ box width (plus a maximum 12” top overhang for mobile homes) are allowed to travel 1/2 hour after sunrise to 1/2 hour before sunset Monday through Saturday EXCEPT travel prohibited in close proximity of large urban areas between 7-9AM all days and 3-6PM on school days and 4:30-6:00PM on non-school days.
– Over 15’ wide: All loads over 15’ wide and mobile homes over 14’ box width up to and including 16’ wide shall be moved Monday through Saturday only between the hours of 9AM and 3PM during school days and 9AM and 4PM other days.
– Continuous travel: Only loads grossing up to 130,000 lbs. may be granted continuous travel upon request if all other dimensions are legal.
– Sunday: No travel allowed on Sunday.
Travel restrictions apply on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, and Christmas Day.
No movement shall be allowed during inclement weather such as heavy rain or fog when visibility is restricted to less than 500’. Movement shall also be prohibited during periods of high winds or when highways are slippery or hazardous due to ice, snow or sleet.