Hours of Business
Department of Transportation
Oversize / Overweight
2 Capitol Hill
Providence, Rhode Island 02903
PHONE: (401) 462-4368
When escorts are needed and # of escorts required
- Width greater than 11’11” and/or length 80′ to 95′ requires 1 escort (Rear)
- Width over 13’5” and/or length over 95′ requires 2 escorts (1 front and 1 rear)
- Height over 13’11″ requires 1 escort where best utilized
- Overhang of 15’ or more requires 1 escort (Rear)
Police escorts are assigned on a case-by-case basis.
No stated minimum for super loads. Each trip is reviewed individually to determine whether it is a super load or not, depends on routes, etc.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
For single trip permits, travel is limited to times listed on permit, Monday through Sunday during daylight hours excluding 7:00–9:00AM and 3:00–7:00PM. Daylight hours consist of 30 minutes prior to sunrise until 30 minutes after sunset.
No nighttime travel is authorized except for vehicles which are overweight only and are capable of traveling with the traffic flow on a case-by-case basis.
Blanket permit trips are allowed during daylight and nighttime hours. Time restrictions consist of no travel on freeways 7:00–9:00AM and 3:00–7:00PM and arterial roadways between 7:00–9:00AM and 3:00–7:00PM Monday through Friday.
Weekend/Night travel may be permitted on a case-by-case basis.
Permit travel is not allowed on the holidays of New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Victory Day (2nd Monday in August), Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. If a holiday falls on Sunday, the following Monday is also restricted as a holiday and if the holiday falls on Saturday, the previous Friday is restricted as a holiday after 12:00 noon. If a holiday falls during the week, travel is allowed up to 12:00 noon on the day before the holiday.
- Permits for the Newport and Mt. Hope bridges only available from Turnpike and Bridge Authority in addition to any necessary RIDOT permits.
- Weight restrictions apply on the Veterans Memorial Parkway – East Providence; Route 114 – Bristol; Route 114 – Johnston; South Main Street – Coventry; and on state roadways – East Providence.
- East Providence – No motor vehicle with a gross weight exceeding 2 tons except those listed herein shall be allowed to travel the Veterans Memorial Parkway in the city of East Providence.
- There are special Requirements for Jamestown Bridge