Hours of Business
Special Hauling Permit Section
1980 West Broad Street
Columbus, OH 43223
PHONE: (614) 351-2300
When escorts are needed and number of escorts required
- Width in excess of 13′ up to 14’6″ requires 1 escort (Front on a 2-lane highway and Rear on a multiple lane highway)
- Width over 14’6″ requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
- Overall length in excess of 90 feet requires 1 escort (Rear)
- Overall height in excess of 14’6″ requires 1 Front escort vehicle equipped with a height sensing device
- Overall width in excess of 14’6″ up to 14’10” requires 1 escort (Front with height pole)
- Overall height in excess of 14’10” requires 2 escorts (Front with height pole and Rear)
If more than one of the conditions above requiring only one escort are met (i.e. a load exceeding 13’ in width and 90’ in length), then two escorts are required (Front and Rear).
State police escorts
In addition to the above private escorts, a law enforcement escort is required on any vehicle or vehicle/load with an overall width in excess of 16′ or any time when, in the opinion of the Department, movement may result in the high probability of delay or hazard to the traveling public or damage to highway or street facilities.
In Ohio, a super load is any vehicle and load combination in excess of the following:
- WIDTH: 14’
- HEIGHT: 14’6”
- WEIGHT: 120,000 lbs.
- LENGTH: Depends on routes
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
Overweight vehicle/loads that are not over dimensional will not be restricted as to travel hours or days so long as the overweight vehicle/load can move without obstructing the normal flow of the traffic.
Movement of all vehicles/loads in excess of 12’ in width is prohibited within Butler, Clermont, Cuyahoga, Delaware, Fairfield, Franklin, Geauga, Hamilton, Lake, Licking, Lorain, Lucas, Madison, Mahoning, Medina, Montgomery, Pickaway, Stark, Summit, Union, Warren and Wood Counties between the hours of 6:30AM and 9:00AM and 4:30PM and 6PM Monday through Friday.
Movement of all vehicles/loads in excess of 12’ in width shall be prohibited during the following travel times:
- Saturday from 3 PM until 1/2 hour before sunrise on the following Sunday.
- Sunday from 3 PM until 1/2 hour before sunrise on the following Monday.
- Friday from 3 PM until 1/2 hour before sunrise on the following Saturday (April 1 through November 30).
- These time limitations are in addition to items 2 of the Days/Hours of Operation, above.
With the exception of limits noted above, permitted vehicles/loads may move daylight hours, Sunday through Saturday. Daylight hours are defined as one half hour before sunrise until one-half hour after sunset.
Nighttime movement for overweight permit loads up to 10’ wide and legal height is allowed. The request for night movement must be made at the time of original application. These stipulations apply:
- a. Nighttime movement must be specially requested at the time of application.
- b. Routing is limited to 4-lane highways.
- c. Lighting must be in accordance with Ohio DOT’s operation guide when moving at night.
Travel restrictions are applicable on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.