When escorts are needed and number of escorts required
- Width in excess of 13' up to 14'6" requires 1 escort (Front on a 2-lane highway and Rear on a multiple lane highway)
- Width over 14'6" requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
- Overall length in excess of 90 feet requires 1 escort (Rear)
- Overall height in excess of 14'6" requires 1 Front escort vehicle equipped with a height sensing device
- Overall width in excess of 14'6" up to 14'10" requires 1 escort (Front with height pole)
- Overall height in excess of 14'10" requires 2 escorts (Front with height pole and Rear)
If more than one of the conditions above requiring only one escort are met (i.e. a load exceeding 13’ in width and 90’ in length), then two escorts are required (Front and Rear).
State police escorts
In addition to the above private escorts, a law enforcement escort is required on any vehicle or vehicle/load with an overall width in excess of 16' or any time when, in the opinion of the Department, movement may result in the high probability of delay or hazard to the traveling public or damage to highway or street facilities.
In Ohio, a super load is any vehicle and load combination in excess of the following:
- WIDTH: 14’
- HEIGHT: 14’6”
- WEIGHT: 120,000 lbs.
- LENGTH: Depends on routes
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.