When escorts are needed & # of escorts required
- Gross vehicle weight exceeding 149,999 lbs. requires 1 escort (Front)
- Width greater than 12’ up to 14' requires 1 escort (Front)*
- Width greater than 14’1" requires 2 escorts (Front and 1 Rear)
- Height greater than 14’5” requires 1 Front with high pole
- Length greater than 110’ up to 150' requires 1 escort (Rear)
- Length greater than 150’ requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
*Vehicles traveling on 4-lane highways needing only one escort for overwidth must have that escort following the load.
Escorts may be required at any time at the discretion of the issuing agent.
In addition to private escorts, a police escort is required when
- Width exceeds 16’
- Height exceeds 16.5’
- Law enforcement escorts may also be required at any time at the discretion of issuing agent.
Anything above normal permit issue may be considered a super load:
- Weights in excess of 132,000 lbs.
- Width over 16'
- Height determined by route
- No set length limit
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.