Hours of Business
OS/OW Permit Office
1035 Parkway Avenue
PO Box 600
Trenton, NJ 08625
PHONE: (609) 530-6089
When escorts are needed & number of escorts
- One escort vehicle is required when the width, including load, exceeds 14’ and/or when the length exceeds 100’. A Front escort is required on highways with fewer than 4 traffic lanes. A Rear escort is required for highways with 4 or more lanes.
- Two escort vehicles (Front and Rear) are required when the width, including load, exceeds 16’ and/or when the length exceeds 120’.
- One additional escort vehicle is required when an oversize vehicle or combination of vehicles is traveling during the nighttime hours of sunset to sunrise.
- When the height, including load, exceeds 14’, utility employees need to be present if load is conveyed along/across a public road or highway near the overhead wires of a street railway, traction company or electric light or power company.
- When 3 escort vehicles are required, there will be one Front pilot, one Rear pilot and the third will travel in the adjacent lane alongside the escorted vehicles on all highways with 3 or more lanes. When 3 or more highway lanes are not available, the third escort vehicle will become an additional Rear pilot.
New Jersey no longer define super loads.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
Overdimensional travel is permitted from sunrise to sunset, 7 days/week.
Vehicles that have legal dimensions and only overweight may travel 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
No travel is permitted:
- During the nighttime hours of sunset to sunrise,
- When visibility is limited to a distance of less than 500’ during the daylight hours of sunrise to sunset; and
- When hazardous road conditions exist.
Travel is restricted on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day (and the Friday before), Independence Day, Labor Day (and the Friday before), Thanksgiving Day (and the Wednesday before), and Christmas Day.
If the holiday falls on a Sunday, the operation shall not be permitted on the following Monday.
If the holiday falls on a Saturday, the operation shall not be permitted on the preceding Friday.
An oversize permit shall not be valid for operation of a vehicle or combination of vehicles when hazardous road conditions exist, and an oversize permit shall not be valid for the operation of a vehicle or combination of vehicles that are incapable of being operated safely at a maximum speed of 40 miles per hour during hours when lamps are required, or when visibility is limited to a distance of less than 500′.
No permit shall be valid on any toll road without the express approval of the tolling authority including, but not limited to, the South Jersey Transportation Authority for the Atlantic City Expressway; and the New Jersey Turnpike Authority for the New Jersey Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway.