When escorts are needed
On undivided highways
- Width 12' and under 14' requires 1 escort
- Height over 14' requires 1 escort
- Front/rear overhang exceeding 15’ requires 1 escort
- If overhang exceeds 15' AND width exceeds 12', then 2 escorts are required
- Length equal to or greater than 90’ requires 1 escort
On divided highways
- Width over 14’ requires 2 police escorts
- Length equal to or greater than 100’ requires a police escort
- Complete or partial highway closure requires 3 police escorts
- A state police escort are required when load, including hauling vehicle, exceeds 100’ in length.
- Two state police escorts are required when load, including hauling vehicle, exceeds 14’ in width.
- Three state police escorts are required if the movement requires highway closure or closure of a portion of a highway.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.