When escorts are needed & number of escorts required
On all state highway systems:
- Width over 12' requires 1 escort (Rear)*
- Width over 20' requires 1 escort plus police escort
- Length over 100' requires 1 escort (Front)
- Height over 16' require a Front escort with a height pole as well as a pre-route survey
- *On interstate or 4-lane divided highway, an alternative light bar attachment may be allowed in lieu of an escort.
State police escort
All loads at or exceeding 20’ in width require Nebraska State Patrol escort. Nebraska State Patrol escorts can be required for any overdimensional load as deemed necessary for NDOT for the safety of travel.
Loads greater than 16’ wide, 15’11" high, 125’ long and 160,000 lbs are considered super loads and require clerk review.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.