Hours of Business
Motor Carrier Services Division
P.O. Box 893
Jefferson City, Missouri, 65102
PHONE: (573) 751-7100 (Local only)
|When escorts are needed||# of escorts|
|On 2-lane and undivided highways|
|– Width over 12’6″ to 14′ (2 lane)||1 escort (Front)|
|– Width over 12’6″ to 14′ (off designated highways)||2 escorts (Front and Rear)|
|– Width over 14′ to 16′||2 escorts (Front and Rear)|
|– Width exceeding 16′||1 escort (Rear) + police escort in front|
|– Length over 90′ for a combination unit on all highways except divided highways||1 escort (Rear)|
|– Height over 15’6″||1 escort with height pole|
|Interstate and divided multi-lane highways|
|– Width over 12’6″ to 16′||1 escort (Rear)|
|– Width exceeding 16′||2 escorts (Rear) + police escort in front|
|– Width 18′ or greater on interstate||2 escorts (Rear) + police escort in front|
|– Length of 150′ or greater on interstate||2 escorts (Rear) + police escort in front|
|– Height over 15’6″||1 escort (Front) with height pole and route survey required|
Special escort requirements may be specified whenever size, speed or operation of move may require them.
State police escorts:
- A police escort is required in front of loads exceeding 16′ wide on 2-lane highways and on any highway other than interstate.
- On the interstate, a police escort is required for any load equal to or exceeding 18’ wide or 150’ in overall length.
All dimensions or weights exceeding the routine limits of the oversize and overweight permit rules (generally in excess of 16’ wide, 16’ high, 150’ long, and/or over 160,000 lbs. gross weight) are considered super loads. If over 17’5” high must have written approval from the appropriate utility company showing approval to disturb lines across route. No movement between 6:30AM-9AM and 3:30PM to 6PM.
If Missouri State Highway Patrol escorts are required for a continuous portion of the move but not the entire move, they are only required for that portion. If the patrol escort is required for an intermittent portion of the move, they will be required to escort the entire move.
The following requirements apply to super heavy and large load movements:
- One front and 1 rear civilian escort is required for all super loads in excess of 350,000 lbs.
- One front civilian escort is required for all super loads on 2-lane highways, except if a load is required to cross bridge structures at crawl speed in the Kansas City and St. Louis areas then 1 front and 2 rear civilian escorts are required for that portion of the move.
- One front and 2 rear civilian escorts are required on all sections of dual-lane highways traversed if load exceeds 16’ wide and Missouri State Highway Patrol escorts are not present. If Missouri State Highway Patrol escorts are present, 1 front and 1 rear civilian escort are required in addition to the civilian escorts required above.
- Missouri State Highway Patrol escorts are required when load exceeds:
A. 16’ wide on any highway other than interstate or MO 370;
B. 18’ wide on interstate or MO 370;
C. 150’ overall length on any highway;
D. 17’ high on any highway;
E. Any time deemed necessary due to complexity of route or load.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
Except in except in metropolitan and tourist areas, travel is allowed Monday through Saturday from one-half hour before sunrise to one-half hour after sunset. No Sunday movement. Contact ODS for limitations applicable to the Lake of the Ozarks and Branson areas as well as in the metropolitan areas of St. Louis, St. Charles, Kansas City, and Springfield.
Loads that are only overweight can travel 24 hours.
Travel restrictions on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas.
- The restriction for Thanksgiving will begin at 12:00 noon on Wednesday and apply until 1/2 hour before sunrise on the following Monday.
- When Christmas falls on Saturday, the restriction will begin at 12:00 noon the preceding Friday. Movement will resume 1/2 hour before sunrise the following Monday. When Christmas falls on Sunday, the restriction will begin at 12:00 noon on the preceding Friday. Movement will resume 1/2 hour before sunrise the following Tuesday.
- On all weekday holidays, the restriction will begin at 12:00 noon on the day preceding the holiday. Movement will resume 1/2 hour before sunrise on the day following the holiday. All offices will be closed.
No movement is allowed when road conditions are hazardous, such as snow and ice covered or when hazardous cross winds affect the movement or when weather conditions are such to limit the visibility to less than 500’.