Hours of Business
Transport Permits Units
425 W. Ottawa Street
Lansing, Michigan 48909
PHONE: (517) 241-8999
When escorts are needed
- Width over 12′ to 14′ requires 1 escort (Front on 2-lane highways and Rear on 4-lane or more)
- Width over 14′ requires 2 escorts (Front & Rear) on all highways
- Length greater than 90′ requires 1 escort (Rear) on all highways
- Length over 100′ requires 2 escorts (Front & Rear) on all highways
- Height over 14’6″ and less than 15′ requires 1 escort (Front) with high pole on all highways
- Height over 15′ requires 2 escorts (Front with high pole & Rear)
- Overhang over 15′ requires 1 escort (Rear) on all highways
- Mobile Home > 90′ overall Combination length requires 1 escort (Rear) on all highways
- Mobile Home > 100′ overall Combination length requires 2 escorts (Front & Rear) on all highways
- Mobile Home > 12′ wide requires 1 escort (Rear) on all highways
- Mobile Home > 14′ wide requires 2 escorts (Front & Rear) on all highways
Loads equal to or exceeding 16′ wide (14′ during Spring restrictions), 15′ high and/or 150′ long require super load permits. Applications are submitted electronically by the applicant through a permit service.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
Oversize travel is permitted one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset Monday through Friday.
Loads that are overweight only but are otherwise of legal dimensions may travel 24/7.
Weekend travel is allowed during daylight hours all day Saturday and Sunday until 3:00PM if overall dimensions do not exceed 10′ wide, 14′ high, or 90′ long.
Permits shall not be issued for movement from 12:00 noon on the day preceding and continuing until daylight of the first day after the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day. When a holiday occurs on a Friday or Monday, permits shall not be valid for the period beginning noon before the three-day weekend and ending daylight of the first day after the three-day weekend.
During the spring thaw, a soft layer below the pavement and above the frost line can create weakness in the pavement. This is most prominent on routes that are designated as seasonal and the shoulder portion of all routes. For this reason, during the period of weight restriction, a number of precautions are taken in order to protect the condition of MDOT jurisdiction infrastructure.
- First, reduced weight limits are in effect for seasonal routes (shown on the MDOT Truck Operators’ Map) and signs are typically posted indicating seasonal limits on these routes.
- Secondly, overweight permits are not issued for any MDOT jurisdiction routes.
- Lastly, in order to protect shoulder conditions, permits for vehicles or loads exceeding 14’ in width are not issued. Certain emergency situations may receive exceptions to these guidelines. For additional information see Truck Weight and Vehicle Restrictions.
The following counties have travel restrictions which limit permit vehicles over 12′ in width or 90′ in length to travel between the hours of 7:00 – 9:00am and from 3:00 – 6:00pm Monday through Friday: Genesee, Kalamazoo, Muskegon, Washtenaw, Ingham, Kent, Oakland, Wayne,
Jackson, Macomb, and Saginaw.
- Mackinaw Bridge – Vehicles must notify authorities twenty-four hours prior to movement. Contact (906) 643-7600.
- Blue Water Bridge – Vehicles must notify authorities twenty-four hours prior to movement. Contact (810) 984-3131.
- International Bridge Vehicles must notify authorities twenty-four hours prior to movement. Contact (906) 635-5255.