When escorts are needed and number of escorts required
- Width over 13' (except manufactured housing) requires 1 escort (Front on 2-lane roads and Rear on 4-lane)
- Length over 85' requires 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads
- Construction equipment greater than 12’ wide traveling off the interstate system requires 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads
- Height 14'6” or more requires 1 escort with a height pole
- Weight over 60 tons (120,000 lbs.) GVW requires 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads
- When weather or road conditions justify the requirement for at least one escort- 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads is required
- Width 14' or more (including manufactured housing) requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
- Length 140' or more requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
- When traveling on a narrow road or against traffic, 2 escorts may be required (Front and Rear)
- Width 16' or more (Police required)
- Weight greater than 150,000 lbs. GVW ( Police required)
Escorts (private or police) may be added at any time at the discretion of the Maryland Hauling Permit Section for safety purposes.
State police escorts
Police escorts are needed when:
- Police escorts required at 140’ long, 16’ high, 16’ wide, or 150,000 lbs. Police escorts may also be required for safety and in specific geographical locations.
- Weight exceeds 150,000 lbs. GVW
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.