Hours of Business
7491 Connelley Drive
Hanover, Maryland, 21076
PHONE: 1-800-846-6435 or 1-800-543-4564
After Hours Hauling Permit Unit:
Statewide Operations Center
PHONE: (410) 582-5650 or 1-800-543-2515
When escorts are needed and number of escorts required
- Width over 13′ (except manufactured housing) requires 1 escort (Front on 2-lane roads and Rear on 4-lane)
- Length over 85′ requires 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads
- Construction equipment greater than 12’ wide traveling off the interstate system requires 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads
- Height 14’6” or more requires 1 escort with a height pole
- Weight over 60 tons (120,000 lbs.) GVW requires 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads
- When weather or road conditions justify the requirement for at least one escort- 1 Rear escort on multilane roads , 1 Front on 2-lane roads is required
- Width 14′ or more (including manufactured housing) requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
- Length 140′ or more requires 2 escorts (Front and Rear)
- When traveling on a narrow road or against traffic, 2 escorts may be required (Front and Rear)
- Width 16′ or more (Police required)
- Weight greater than 150,000 lbs. GVW ( Police required)
Escorts (private or police) may be added at any time at the discretion of the Maryland Hauling Permit Section for safety purposes.
State police escorts
Police escorts are needed when:
- Police escorts required at 140’ long, 16’ high, 16’ wide, or 150,000 lbs. Police escorts may also be required for safety and in specific geographical locations.
- Weight exceeds 150,000 lbs. GVW
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
One-half hour after sunrise and one-half hour before sunset.
Night moves for loads up to 120k GVW, 13’ wide, 14’6” high, 75’ long may move from 8:30 pm to 6:00 am EST.
CURFEW: The permittee or user may move any vehicle and load that together exceeds 45 tons gross weight or is 100’ or more in length or 12’ or more in width over I-495 and I-95 (Capital Beltway) or I-695 (Baltimore Beltway) from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. If 14’ wide or more, 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on any highway. Maryland has many toll, bridge, and tunnel restrictions make sure you contact them before you make your move. Curfew restrictions will be noted on your permit.
Movement restrictions apply on New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor day, Thanksgiving, and Christmas Day (generally from noon the day before until 9AM the day after and extending over weekends when the day preceding the holiday falls on a Friday).
The Maryland State Police declares snow emergencies with input from MD State Highway Administration. Permits are not valid when a snow emergency plan is in effect for specified area.