When escorts are needed and # of vehicles required
- Width from 12' up to 16' requires 1 escort (Front on 2-lane highway, Rear on 4-lane or more highway)
- Width from 16'1" to 18' requires 1 State Trooper* (on 2-lane & 4-lane Highways or more lane highways)
- Width exceeds 18' requires 2 State Troopers (on 2-lane & 4-lane Highways or more lane highways)
- Length from 90' up to 125' requires 1 escort (Rear) on all highways
- Height over 15'10" requires a height pole off interstate
* While Louisiana requires one escort, 2 may be recommended in some places
- When the gross vehicle weight exceeds 254,000 pounds, permit requests require detailed information and inquiries should be directed to the Truck Permit Office well in advance of the movement (generally one month).
- Loads exceeding 900,000 pounds may require analysis from an independent engineering firm and additional time should be allowed for this analysis.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.