Hours of Business
Office of Vehicle and Motor
6310 SE Convenience Boulevard
Ankeny, IA 50021
P.O. Box 10382
Des Moines, IA 50306-0382
PHONE: (515) 237-3264
- Length over 120′ require 1 Rear escort on 2-lane and 4-lane highways
- Height over 14’6″ up to 20′ require 1 Front escort with a height pole on 2-lane and 4-lane highways
- Width over 12′ up to and including 14’6″ require 1 escort (Rear on 2-lane highways and Front on 4-lane highways)
- Width over 14’6″ up to and including 16’6″ require 1 escort (Rear on 2-lane highways and Front on 4-lane highways)
- Width over 16’6″ up to and including 18′ require 1 escort (Rear on 2-lane highways and Front on 4-lane highways)
Loads 120′ long, 16′ high, 18′ wide and exceeding 156,000 lbs. are considered superloads. Requirements are at the discretion of the permit office and usually involved police escorts and/or route surveys.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.
Travel is permitted from one half hour before sunrise to one half hour after sunset seven days a week, except for restricted holidays and holiday weekends.
Travel is permitted all day both Saturday and Sunday. Continuous movement (nighttime) conditions include:
- Width must not exceed 11’.
- Length must not exceed 100’.
- Height must not exceed 14’6”.
- Weight must not exceed permitted limits.
- Roadway width must be at least 22’.
- Lane width must be at least 11’.
- The extreme dimensions of the vehicle and load are equipped with operating side-marker and clearance lights, according to federal regulations.
Movement is allowed seven days a week except for designated holidays and for special events when abnormally high traffic counts can be expected. No movement will be allowed on these holidays or after 12 noon on days preceding these holidays and holiday weekends which include holidays that fall on Monday, except as provided for in Section
Roads must be clear of snow and ice, and visibility must be at least 1/4 mile.
Road conditions, road width, traffic volume, weather conditions and roadside obstructions will be considered in determining if permit limits will be allowed and if allowed, how far they may travel.
Always check www.511ia.org website for road construction restrictions and weather conditions.