A vehicle requires at least one escort when it has:
- A width exceeding 12’ (needs two escorts are needed if width exceeds 14’) OR
- A height exceeding 14’6” OR
- A length exceeding 95’ (two escorts may be required in certain instances (see Operating Time - Restrictions)
An overlength vehicle no longer than 105' may proceed without escort if the vehicle combination has a minimum of three turning points, exclusive of the steering axle.
State police escorts
When law enforcement escorts are required:
- For loads over 16’ wide/high (two law escorts on state-maintained roadways at all times);
- One law escort and one qualified escort are required when length >250’
- Loads with height > 16’ up to 18’ require one law escort in addition to one qualified Front escort with a vertical height indicator
- One law escort and one qualified escort are required when traveling on a limited access facility during nighttime hours;
- Oversize loads travelling during nighttime hours;
- Superloads that must travel across structures at reduced speed;
- Superload vehicles travelling against the flow of traffic.
Escorts must be certified to operate in Florida. Requirements include courses on defensive driving and worksite traffic. Escorts already certified in another state will be acceptable for loads whose origin or destination is outside of Florida and escort resides out of state. The programs accepted include the following states: AZ, CO, GA, MN, NC, OK, VA (certificates issued after 1/1/2014 only for 8-hour training), WA, and WI.
Escort vehicle requirements can differ significantly by state in terms of mandatory driver qualifications, training, certifications, vehicle weights, obligatory signage/flags/lighting, necessary onboard equipment, and more. The ODS team can provide you with all additional requirements specific to your route.